Nursing theories play a vital role in the evolution of nursing as a discipline. They establish the critical contributions made by the profession and provide nurses with frameworks to guide their practice, grow professionally, and improve the care they deliver to patients. This assignment focuses on the importance of nursing theory within the profession. Selecting one nursing theorist and the middle-range theory they developed (non-nursing ideas are not allowed), the student will present a summary of the set nursing theory, identify opportunities for the application of the theory to a nursing situation (In this course, you have analyzed a middle range theory, you may the theory used in previous discussions). The student will include two scholarly peer-reviewed sources to support the nursing theory chosen.
The two central aims of this assignment are to apply a middle-range nursing theory to clinical practice and to reflect on the experience. Consider the problem described in discussion nine. Write a paper (1,000 to 1,500 words, Approximately three pages) that explains how middle-range theory can be applied to the identified problem. The paper should include the following:
1. A summary of the problem (nursing situation). Describe a nursing situation you have encountered in your clinical placement. The situation can be a specific physiological patient problem or a case involving a vulnerable patient’s family or a staff member. It can also describe your role in problem-solving or an ethical issue you encountered in practice. The key is you need to have been directly involved in the event. You must also maintain the confidentiality of your subjects at all times. Do not identify the patient, staff, or hospital site.
2. A description of a middle-range theory that could be applied to the problem. Is this middle-range theory appropriate to your identified situation? For example, health promotion, especially preventive care, is essential for ethnic minority groups and
the economically disadvantaged. The Health Promotion Model (HPM) (Pender, 1996; Pender et al., 2010) is a framework for delivering nursing care to support health promotion behaviors. An essential component of a nursing assessment is understanding personal factors (e.g., lack of finances to afford health insurance) and an individual’s perception of the benefits and barriers of engaging in health promotion behaviors. Screening recommendations and health promotion practices can be tailored to the patient’s and family’s cultural values and beliefs, finances, and community support when working with vulnerable populations.
3. A brief discussion of the middle-range theory’s origins includes a short biography of the theorist and the main concepts of the middle-range theory ( See discussion nine).
4. Discuss how the middle-range theory has been previously applied ( See discussion nine ).
5. A discussion of the application of the middle-range theory to the identified problem. How would your practice change by incorporating this theory?
6. The paper should be 2-3 pages, excluding the title and reference pages.
7. The paper should start with an introductory paragraph that includes the purpose statement.
8. Use headings and subheadings to organize the paper.
Using the diagram below, reflect on the following questions:
1. Think about a nursing situation (necessary experience).
2. Consider the selected theory or parts theory while it is implemented in your nursing care.
3. As you apply theory, identify your emotions.
4. Have you experienced this nursing situation before applying the theory
5. What did I learn from completing this experience?
6. How have I been changed by what I’ve learned?