Social cognition is about perceiving others and how we process the people and the world around us.
- How do people categorize things and people as either familiar and safe or unfamiliar and possibly dangerous?
- Why do people categorize?
- Can you escape categorization?
- How does this impact us and how we navigate the world?
- If we cannot escape categorization, can we ever eliminate prejudice?
Think about your current work situation—how there is certain work that is handled by individuals and work that is handled by teams.
- When should we use groups to solve problems versus having an individual complete the work?
- Discuss how your answer aligns with the theories and insights from the textbook.