- Week 4 DiscussionDiscussion Topic Due February 3 at 11:59 PMThe discussion assignment provides a forum for discussing relevant topics for this week based on the course competencies covered.
For this assignment, make sure you post your initial response to the Discussion Area by the due date assigned.
To support your work, use your course and text readings and also use outside sources. As in all assignments, cite your sources in your work and provide references for the citations in APA format.
Start reviewing and responding to the postings of your classmates as early in the week as possible. Respond to at least two of your classmates. Participate in the discussion by asking a question, providing a statement of clarification, providing a point of view with a rationale, challenging an aspect of the discussion, or indicating a relationship between two or more lines of reasoning in the discussion. Complete your participation for this assignment by the end of the week.
Addressing Key Human Resource Functions
Training staff is important for employers as training focuses on current job requirements. Employers’ responsibilities around staff development arguably are not as obvious since development focuses on enhancing skills required for future jobs.
Respond to the following questions in relation to staff development:
- Do you think employers should invest in staff development? Why or why not?
- In what ways can decisions about staff development affect a public health organization’s staffing plan?
- What strategies would you recommend to balance the benefits of staff development with budgetary constraints?
- Part 2
Fair and adequate compensation is critical for attracting the most qualified employees and retaining and motivating staff. When determining compensation, consideration should be given to fair and equitable compensation among all workers in the same company (internal equity) and fair and equitable compensation relative to the external market (external equity).
Consider the following scenario:
You have two medical assistants (MAs) who earn $15 per hour at your medical practice. When you hire a new MA, you discover that the current market pays $16 per hour for medical assistants.
Respond to the following discussion points in relation to equity conflicts and compensation:
- State what you would offer the new MA and provide your reasons.
- Discuss the implications of your decisions on internal and external equity.
- Evaluate the changes, if any, you would make in the compensation of your current MAs.
- Recommend strategies for resolving similar equity conflicts with compensation.
- Performance evaluations can be stressful for both employers and employees. Nevertheless, performance appraisals have a number of benefits for both employers and staff.
Respond to the following questions in relation to performance evaluation:
- In what ways do performance evaluations benefit employers?
- In what ways do performance evaluations benefit employees?
- HR departments play an essential role in developing an agency’s staffing strategy and handling employee-centered activities of an organization. The presence of an HR department, however, does not absolve individual managers within the agency of human resources responsibilities.
Respond to the following questions in relation to HR issues:
- What role, if any, do managers have in addressing HR issues or concerns?
- How does this differ from the role of the HR department staff?